Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's that Heat

Most Americans don't grow up hearing samba, but Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 had some of their biggest U.S. hits in the 1960s and 1970s, when I was an impressionable Long Island kid.  So I think it's fair for me to say I grew up with his music.  Hearing "Mais Que Nada" or "The Fool on the Hill" on lazy summer mornings when I looked forward to having the whole day to play on the beach is one of my fondest childhood memories.

This video is something altogether different -- a track from Sergio's experiment with rap and hip hop.  In New York City we just went suddenly from an unseasonably cool Spring to searing heat.  Summer flipped on like a switch, making up for lost time, and today I found myself on the way to work rapping out the lyrics to "That Heat", a track with will-i-am and Erykah Badu, from his "Timeless" CD.  It's one track where the combination of hip-hop and samba works particularly well.  The tune features a tight tamborim section from a bateria playing a classic Carnival samba pattern, albeit more slowly than usual.  Here's to the beginnings of a beautiful, hot summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment