Monday, June 18, 2012

Paulinho da Viola

I don't remember exactly where I first heard the music of Paulinho da Viola, but I probably heard his name before his music.  He's one of the latest in a long line of samba singers and composers associated with the Velha Guarda da Portela (the Old Guard of Portela), and rightly called the greatest living sambista.  He's got a particularly unique and beautiful way of slightly lowering his voice at the end of a phrase during quiet, reflective songs, but he's equally expressive in joyful, loud moments.  Several of his compositions have been featured in Carnaval parades -- the highest honor accorded any sambista.  His lyrics are beautiful, articulate, and thoughtful, and are easily appreciated once you cross the language barrier.  In "Meu Tempo É Hoje" (My Time is Now), for instance, he raises the subject of conformity and hypocrisy.  (This is my own approximate translation, by the way -- apologies to native Portuguese speakers for any nuances lost.)


I pity those who lower themselves to the floor,
selling themselves out for money or position.
I had no part in that fearsome struggle,
because I know that, other than flowers,
nothing goes on your coffin.


These YouTube videos show the range of what this man is capable of doing with his voice:



Here he is with Gilberto Gil playing "Danca da Solidao":



Solitude is the wash
that covers everything
bitterness in my mouth
smile with false teeth
the word embedded in my heart
resigned to the world
in the rhythm of disillusion.
I dance, you dance,
the dance of loneliness...

Paulinho da Viola will be coming to Carnegie Hall on November 28.  More info to be found in the Event Calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment