Saturday, July 21, 2012

Beco Dranoff

While I love Brazil, and had a great time late last year experiencing the people and music of Rio de Janeiro, the place to be this week for Brazilian music is New York.  I've been hustling all week to get in all my intended writing about Summerfest without neglecting my day job and other responsibilities before today's show actually occurs, and it's been a challenge.  Beco Dranoff is last but definintely not least on my list.  He's the DJ today at Summerstage, but he is in fact, along with Nublu Records, co-curating the entire Summerfest series this year, and he's a primary influence behind many of the artists I've already written about.  He's produced artists such as Zuco 103, Bossacucanova, Bebel Gilberto, and lots of other electronic music coming out of Brazil; he's also collaborated with the elder Gilberto.  His online radio show, Sonoridade, this month focused entirely on musicians appearing in New York this week, and many of his selections just happen to be some of my favorite tracks from these artists.  If you're still on the fence about whether to come to Central Park today, check out his online radio show!

No comments:

Post a Comment